headermask image

header image

Is “Funnest” a Word?

Vote on when it is OK to use the word “funnest.” This poll was inspired by the “Funnest iPod Ever” marketing campaign. Here’s my Grammar Girl post about “funnest.”

If you liked my post, feel free to subscribe to my rss feeds

6 Comments so far (Add 1 more)

1. to me it’s not a grammatically correct word, that’s why I voted for ‘never’ ;)

1. MissWhiteMoth on September 20th, 2008 at 1:14 AM
  2. 147 people had voted as of September 19, 2008.

2. admin on September 19th, 2008 at 8:00 PM
  3. For me, “funnest” the same type of thing as Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (for those who don’t know what that is, I am SO sorry!). It’s wrong, but we all noticed. And now we’re all talking about an iPod ad. Probably the intention …

3. K. Roddey on September 12th, 2008 at 2:28 PM
  4. I do realize that language changes over time, but in the language wars, I tend to lean prescriptivist, so I’m going to toss my hat in the ring to say that it’s not a word. I don’t mind language changing, but I hate when it changes because so many native speakers don’t know or care about the actual rules. See: alot vs. a lot. I surmise that alot will be a dictionary word within fifty years.

4. Kevin M. on September 12th, 2008 at 2:08 PM
  5. funnest is NOT a word.

5. fmlyons on September 12th, 2008 at 12:06 PM
  6. I voted anywhere. I did that because there has to be a word that applies in the situation of that iPod ad. “The most fun iPod ever” doesn’t work. But taking fun and adding the same suffix that you would apply to “cool” or a “dumb” just seems appropriate. It may not be right, but it SHOULD be right.

6. Ryan Jerz on September 12th, 2008 at 11:34 AM