headermask image

header image

“Crazy Sarah”

Meet Sarah, a copyeditor with a little too much passion:

Note: Since a lot of people didn’t get the joke, “Chicago 6.18″ refers to the Chicago Manual of Style section on commas. Having to explain the joke seems like a sure sign I wasn’t meant for humor writing, but I thought it was hilarious. :-)

If you liked my post, feel free to subscribe to my rss feeds

13 Comments so far (Add 1 more)

1. del plz erorr

1. Estimmizasp on December 31st, 2011 at 2:51 PM
  2. Ha! Great cartoon. Like others said, it’s sort of an “insider’s joke”–but that makes it all the more fun. Congrats on the magazine wanting to reprint your cartoon! That’s even better.

I’m glad I found your blog (through Twitter)–As a professional editor-writer (and former English grammar and composition teacher), I like to keep up with what’s out there in the literary world. (Or should I have said the “literate” world? *grin*)

I hope you don’t mind, but I’d like to link to your blog from my Grammar (Parts-of-Speech) site:
    http://www.squidoo.com/parts_of_speech .

Best regards,

Dave (aka “EditorDave”)

2. Dave Gardner on January 5th, 2009 at 12:47 PM
  3. I love that! It reminded me of “Eats, Shoots & Leaves” :-)

3. Andrea Emerson on January 5th, 2009 at 12:24 PM
  4. Oh!

Seeing the John 3:16 guy was the key.

Nerdy, funny.

4. Jim on December 30th, 2008 at 5:21 PM
  5. It’s funny. Insiders get it. Others weren’t meant to. (Life’s unfair that way!)

5. Lil' Miss Use on November 12th, 2008 at 9:50 AM
  6. I thought the joke was quite clever. I did, however, need to extra info. Not into such publications. Just a nurse who enjoys language, stumbled onto your Twitter and thought you might be interesting to follow.

6. thecatladyin5B on October 30th, 2008 at 6:40 PM
  7. I love that the people who actually get it *really* like it. At least there are a few like-minded folks out there. :-)

7. admin on October 30th, 2008 at 5:25 PM
  8. That was so funny, I cried!

8. Cat on October 30th, 2008 at 11:28 AM
  9. Hey now. It WAS hilarious, and we’re honored to hear that our battles with Chicago loosely inspired the joke. For Sarah and any others interested in a competing creed, the battles begin here and continue throughout our blog:

- The Abbeville Manual of Style team

9. Abbeville on October 30th, 2008 at 10:24 AM
  10. Simply love it! Clever. And for the record, the sketch as a medium is totally under used. Nicely done.

10. Travis A. Wittwer on October 29th, 2008 at 9:52 PM
  11. That is a stinking, freaking riot. It’s a nerd’s joke which makes it classic. It’s an inside job. Mensa humor. It will never die.

11. Demian Farnworth on October 29th, 2008 at 8:44 PM
  12. I think it’s funny as long as people are able to make the leap from “copyediting” to “oh, that must be the Chicago Manual of Style” – it’s not knowing what section it was that makes it funny, it’s the whole “John 3:16″ guy connection. I enjoyed this very much :)

12. Danica on October 29th, 2008 at 6:16 PM
  13. The problem with this joke is that not everybody has CMOS memorized.

13. Spicedogs on October 29th, 2008 at 6:00 PM